Click on the following link to view the Mariners Centre Expansion Feasibility Study Final Report of January 2017 prepared by dmA Planning & Management Services.
Western Counties Regional Library
The Isaak Walton Killam Memorial Library is located at 405 Main Street in Yarmouth. Hours of operation are Monday through Thursday 10:00 am to 8:00 pm, Friday 10:00 am to 5:00 pm and Saturday 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.
More information can be found including an events calendar and list of services by going to the Western Counties Regional Library website.
The Nova Scotia - Maine Ferry
Hospitals and Medical Centres
The A.M. Clark Health Centre, which opened its doors on August 30th, 2010, is located at 3010 Hwy 3 in Pubnico. The centre has three healthcare providers and blood collection.
The Harbour South Medical Clinic, which opened in December of 2017, is located at 235 Main Street in Yarmouth. Currently there are five physicians and one nurse practitioner. Harbour South Medical Clinic is a family practice seeing just their own patients. They are not a drop-in clinic.
Yarmouth International Airport (YQI)
Cape Forchu Lighthouse
Cape Forchu - A Light Like No Other
The Cape Forchu Lighthouse is the Beacon to Canada. The Cape has been welcoming visitors since 1604, when Samuel de Champlain landed and named the area "Cap Forchu", meaning forked tongue of land. By the mid-nineteenth century, the Town of Yarmouth was a booming seaport with vessels coming in and out of the harbour and therefore the Cape was the ideal position for a lighthouse and foghorn.
By 1878, Yarmouth was at its peak and was the second largest port of registry in Canada. Here the lighthouse could protect vessels both approaching and entering the harbour. The Cape Forchu light, also commonly known as the Yarmouth Light, was constructed in 1839. The light itself stood 38.4 metres (126 feet) above sea level and 27.7 metres (91 feet) above ground.
Today, the Cape Forchu Lighthouse is a significant tourism drawn. The light itself, its 19 acres of well-groomed rounds, the view of Yarmouth's working harbour and the drive to the Cape through the very heard of an active fishing community, are all emblematic of Nova Scotia's coastal heritage. The tower stands as a proud symbol of dedication and service and maintains a 175-year-old tradition of guiding vessels in and out of Yarmouth Harbour. It is truly a historic landmark. As the light shines way across the water, we are reminded of our historic and economic ties to the sea.
Small Scale Community Wind Turbines
Hebron Recreation Complex
The Hebron Recreation Complex is located at 107 Cemetery Road in Hebron, ideally situated near Maple Grove Educational Centre. Within the complex are three ball fields, tennis courts, a playground, the Forchu River Trail, the Rotary Centre Community Hall and a soccer field. It's a great place to recreate! The Rotary Center Community Hall has fully equipped kitchen facilities. The community hall is used in recreational programming and rentals available to the public through Yarmouth Recreation at 902-742-8868.
The Sandford Drawbridge is located on Drawbridge Road which is a small side road near the north end of the Ross Durkee Road in the village of Sandford. The north wharf, which is no longer in existence, was built in 1915 to protect the highway and the entrance to the inner harbour boathole which was accessible only at high tide and sheltered the vessels or boats during storms. It was about this time that the drawbridge was built. When the wharves were constructed, a footbridge spanned the entrance to the boathole. When this entrance was widened to admit larger boats, the footbridge was replaced with a drawbridge. This has been extended several times and in 1984 was relocated at the entrance to the pond.
Port Maitland Cattle Pound
The Port Maitland Cattle Pound, probably built during the spring or summer of 1871, is one of the few intact cattle pounds remaining in the Municipality of Yarmouth. These pounds were used to temporarily hold stray cattle until their owners reclaimed them. The man whose responsibility it was to catch and pen the cattle was called the cattle reeve, an office that was usually filled by appointment of Municipal Council. Most villages had a reeve and a cattle pound which was used until well into the 1900's.
Leif Ericson Trail
The Leif Ericson Trail is located at the tip of scenic Cape Forchu approximately 10 minutes from the Town of Yarmouth. Walk the shorelines in Leif Ericson Park enjoying the views and crisp salty air of the Yarmouth Harbour. Enjoy the view of working fishing boats, the Cat Ferry passing in and out of the Yarmouth Harbour, or become mesmerized by the beauty of the sea.
The trail is also a wonderful place for a picnic. There are over 19 acres of well groomed grounds surrounding the light allowing visitors to appreciate the magnificent scenery.
The Leif Ericson Park, a new development of walking paths, picnic sites, and benches with views, located at the southern tip of the site, is surrounded by water and affords a great photo opportunity to watch sunsets.